Ed Fong's Antennas and Lecture

Latest news and announcements for WPBARG and the community
Michael M
Elmer

Ed Fong's Antennas and Lecture

Post by Michael M »

For some time now I have been familiar with Ed Fong's antennas, and they are arguably the best antennas you can buy in their space. This was the first time I watched him lecture, and every minute of it was interesting.

It was funny to me when he responded to a proper introduction as, "Dr. Fong." He chuckled and said, “Oh, me? Thank you, most people call me Ed. Even my students call me Ed.” I liked him from the start, and it just kept getting better.

Dr. Fong holds a BSEE and MSEE from UC at Berkeley, and a Ph.D. from the Univ. of San Francisco. At the University of California he teaches graduate classes in High Speed Interface Design and RF Design. He has 12 patents and has several dozen published papers. His call is WB6IQN, and was first licensed in 1968.

https://youtu.be/P9-dzQTmn_g?feature=shared
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Teddy Roosevelt
ws4bsa
Operator

Re: Ed Fong's Antennas and Lecture

Post by ws4bsa »

The BRARA club about 6 months ago has ED as a guest speaker. I think about 20 of his antennas were order that day. I have his 2m 70cm JPole as part of my POTA gear. I toss a line over tree branch to host the antenna up.
Stay Safe, Stay Healthy, and Stay on the Air
Sam Wilfond
WS4BSA, WROM382
Michael M
Elmer

Post by Michael M »

Thanks, Sam. I've been discussing that with Dr. Fong.
ws4bsa wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:00 pm The BRARA club about 6 months ago has ED as a guest speaker. I think about 20 of his antennas were order that day. I have his 2m 70cm JPole as part of my POTA gear. I toss a line over tree branch to host the antenna up.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Teddy Roosevelt
SWAMPER
Elmer

Post by SWAMPER »

Michael M wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:24 pm Thanks, Sam. I've been discussing that with Dr Fong
Micheal, do we have a date that Dr Fong will remotely be at our meeting? I fine him very interesting and don't want to miss it!
Michael M
Elmer

Post by Michael M »

SWAMPER wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:49 am
Michael M wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:24 pm Thanks, Sam. I've been discussing that with Dr Fong
Micheal, do we have a date that Dr Fong will remotely be at our meeting? I fine him very interesting and don't want to miss it!
Yes we do, and no you don't! :D We are kicking off the first meeting of the year with Dr Fong's presentation, on January 24, 2024.

I have spent a fair amount of time communicating with Dr. Fong... who will insist you call him, Ed. The week before last, i had the privilege of a rather lengthy conversation on the phone him. The man is brilliant, and he is a very good communicator. The two are not necessarily synonymous.