Field Day Satellite opps

Latest news and announcements for WPBARG and the community
kn4zaa
Operator

Field Day Satellite opps

Post by kn4zaa »

I will be operating our satellite station for field day. YOU will be making some contacts. Here is a link to a AO-91 pass I worked for the K4MIA event.
Listen to the exchanges. Your callsign will go in place of "special events station K4MIA". I was able to work AO-91 from horizon to horizon despite the trees and a battery issue. You can hear the difference in the audio as the bird starts low at the beginning and end of the pass. I hope we get some good passes. 73 de KN4ZAA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Mc7Gl6zGA
Michael M
Elmer

Re: Field Day Satellite opps

Post by Michael M »

That is a great example, Ed. Thank you not only for participating in our upcoming Field Day, but also volunteering to coach others in working the birds.

Working satellites is a rewarding challenge, and I can't think of anyone better than Ed to assist people in making their first contact, and getting folks who have made contacts better and more comfortable in satellite work. This is a great opportunity!

If you're interested in this, I encourage you to listen to the entire clip.

For more information on Field Day, see our main page here - https://wpbarg.com/
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Teddy Roosevelt
SWAMPER
Elmer

Post by SWAMPER »

kn4zaa wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:04 am I will be operating our satellite station for field day. YOU will be making some contacts. Here is a link to a AO-91 pass I worked for the K4MIA event.
Listen to the exchanges. Your callsign will go in place of "special events station K4MIA". I was able to work AO-91 from horizon to horizon despite the trees and a battery issue. You can hear the difference in the audio as the bird starts low at the beginning and end of the pass. I hope we get some good passes. 73 de KN4ZAA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Mc7Gl6zGA
Great stuff Ed..... The bird links are really cool!
k4mia
Amateur

Post by k4mia »

Ed,
Never gets old listening to it. Thanks again for operating last year's K4MIA special event. Look forward to you doing it again this year. You are a great satellite operator and will show operators how it is done. Hope a few people will get interested. The 1st time you hear your call come back it is magic.
Do not think we have worked each other on the birds. Will have check LOTW. I still have nightmares of HP2VX. Look forward to FD.
73 Mike K4MIA
kn4zaa
Operator

Post by kn4zaa »

Mike,
Hotel papa 2 victor xray. That's Virgil in Panama. He just puts out his call through the whole pass. People are used to that, he's become part of the
landscape (or spacescape) I found out very early that's not a very productive way to operate. You have to catch a callsign and call that station in order
to "jump on the train". On Ao-91 he is the first station I hear as it comes from the south. I'll call him back for the qso and put my call out. Sat operators
like pro-active stations that jump right on. On the other hand a new or seasoned operator will always be assured of a contact if Virgil is on. If you answer his call he always comes back. "59 59"!! I checked my lotw page and I have 66 confirmed contacts with HP2VX. I also have one with you
via the ISS but that was probably Kevin during the event.

73....de KN4ZAA ED